Senior Partnerships Lead
what3words is revolutionising the way the world talks about location. Street addresses aren’t accurate enough to specify specific entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This causes frustration, inefficiencies and can be dangerous.
That’s why we created what3words.
We have divided the globe into a grid of 3m x 3m squares, and given each one a unique combination of three words: a what3words address. It’s an easy way to find and share precise locations.
what3words is being used in 193 countries, and our monthly active users continue to grow at an impressive pace. Our tech is used by thousands of emergency services, delivery companies, eCommerce businesses, ride-hailing apps and NGOs, and is integrated into the navigation systems of millions of cars around the world.
Your role will be to land partnerships and deals that bring about awareness of what3words, drive up usage of 3 word addresses and lay the groundwork for landing major deals in the US market. You will juggle a pipeline of major and minor deals - initially working across events/travel/mobility/navigation/mapping, and later bringing in logistics/ecommerce as the market grows.
This role will be based in London with regular travel to the US to build on our success in the region. You must be eligible to travel to the US for work to apply for this role (e.g. on an ESTA visa, or being a US citizen, etc.), and you must be comfortable with significant travel.
You will be managing two colleagues who will be collaborating with you to build up the US market.
This is a sales role with challenging sales targets; you will be an outstanding individual contributor, motivated by a challenge, with creativity and problem solving matched by extremely strong people skills. You will have to work internally with other teams - especially marketing - as we build the US market, and you must have excellent project management and organisational skills, as well as be able to work with a range of internal and external stakeholders very effectively.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Closing a range of deals and partnerships in the US - you will be responsible for building up your own pipeline, as we have a team that handles inbound enquiries. From outbound to opening conversations right through to closing and activating your deals, you will own the entire funnel. You will need to close a large number of partnership deals, using a mix of traditional sales tools, heavy outbounding on LinkedIn and emails, events and networking etc.
- Growing your own network in the US - e.g. through sourcing speaking engagements, going to events, getting referrals and introductions, among other things
- Overseeing our BD events attendance in the US, sourcing opportunities and attending those events yourself, with your team
- Managing two team members working on the US market with you - you must have some management experience and be an inspiring, enthusiastic and positive manager of people, willing to be creative and determined in helping your two reports meet their own sales targets, while setting the example for them by meeting / exceeding your own
- Being the key point person in BD for the US market for other teams and within BD
- Collaborating with other teams across the business - e.g. our marketing and growth teams on B2B ads, PR
- Determined to make an impact, and willing to go above and beyond to make the US market a success
- Proactive and intuitive, able to anticipate needs and be proactive in growing your impact on the company
- Flexible and comfortable with dealing with ambiguity as we build our strategy as we go, learn from our mistakes and doubling down on what works; this is en environment that changes constantly, so you need to be excited by change to thrive here
- Excellent at adapting your behaviour to different situations – from high-level relationship management to administrative work – and cultural contexts
- Ambitious and interested in building a long-term career with us
- An experienced salesperson, with a track record of delivering revenue and deals
- A fantastic pipeline juggler and deal doer - managing a big pipeline of large and small deals, with a determination to close and abundant creative closing abilities
- Someone with great organisational and project management skills
- Experienced managing one or more people and excited by the opportunity to do this alongside your sales work
- Extremely tech-savvy (preferably you will have worked with technology, or sold a technology product)
- An exceptional relationship builder; highly persuasive and excellent at getting things done
- A natural collaborator who enjoys working in a team
- Able to produce resources of a very high standard (e.g. slide decks), quickly
- Willing to embrace all aspects of working in a fast-growing business, from managing day-to-day admin to giving speeches to global audiences or pitching CXOs from some of the world’s biggest brands
- Motivated by challenging targets and a fast-paced environment
- Able to travel regularly, including at short notice
- Able to travel to the US for work
- Previous experience living and working in the USA
- You have run your own business or held a senior role in a fast-growing start-up
- Speak other languages / have done business abroad or travelled widely
- Can provide excellent references from colleagues as well as supervisors in your current/previous roles
- Have successfully sold something completely new and revolutionary
Our business development team is made up of bright people at the beginning of their career, experienced team builders and outstanding salespeople. We are looking for someone dynamic who believes in our vision for change and is excited to join the company at this stage of growth. We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals, and an absolute focus on building a global business.
This is an incredibly exciting time to be joining what3words, as we begin to expand in new global territories and double down on our success with global brands to date.
Those with unusual career paths (including sabbaticals or time off for parenting, caring or personal development) and/ or career changes are encouraged to get in touch – if you feel energised by what3words and believe your skills can help us accelerate our global growth, we want to hear from you.
The role is based in our London HQ (at Great Western Studios - ///filled.count.soap). While you can work from the office five days a week if preferred, our Business Development team can choose to work up to two days a week from home. We also offer a six-week remote-work allowance; for up to six weeks a year, you can work from anywhere in the world (as long as you’ve got great WiFi and are happy to work on the HQ timezone).
Equality, diversity and inclusion:
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
We offer the following benefits to all permanent employees of what3words:
- Flexible working (2 days from home, 3 days in the London office)
- 6 week remote working (work from anywhere) policy
- 25 days holiday: plus the option to buy more!
- Share options
- Private health and dental insurance
- Annual health assessments
- Life insurance
- Wellbeing Days
- Yulife perks and rewards
- Generous parental leave policies
- £300 personal learning budget
- Family friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Office perks; free breakfast, snacks & regular team lunches
- Sports and hobbies clubs
- Dog friendly office