what3words is revolutionising the way the world talks about location. Street addresses aren’t accurate enough to specify specific entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This causes frustration, inefficiencies and can be dangerous.
That’s why we created what3words.
We have divided the globe into a grid of 3m x 3m squares, and given each one a unique combination of three words: a what3words address. It’s an easy way to find and share precise locations.
what3words is being used in 193 countries, and our monthly active users continue to grow at an impressive pace. Our tech is used by thousands of emergency services, delivery companies, eCommerce businesses, ride-hailing apps and NGOs, and is integrated into the navigation systems of millions of cars around the world.
Having raised significant funds to close out our Series C round in 2021, plus further media-for-equity and CLN financing activity since (including our second crowdfunding campaign), we are looking for an experienced finance professional to lead the Finance team as we prepare for the next phase of our journey towards becoming a global standard.
You will work closely with the CEO and wider management team on a day-to-day basis, as well as managing the 3 person Finance Team (Financial Controller, Junior Management Accountant and Bookkeeper). With a particular focus on robust controls, governance and reporting of actual and forecasted performance (in particular managing our financial models), you will have significant exposure to the Board (and will attend Board meetings) and a wide range of investors (both current and prospective). As the company evolves, you will need to ensure our financial operations remain fit for purpose and scalable.
You must be highly motivated and demonstrate high levels of adaptability, accountability and leadership in the face of changing priorities and competing demands on resources, all the while providing appropriate input into the company’s plans to ensure that they are compatible with our financial means. And you’ll never be afraid to roll your sleeves up and do whatever is needed from time-to-time.
This role could accommodate somebody looking for a flexible 3-4 days per week working pattern (as well as, or potentially changing over-time, to full-time).
You will be in charge of all things finance, including but not limited to the tasks outlined below - whilst this job is predominantly finance focused, as with most senior roles, your expertise and experience will likely be called upon in a number of other areas too.
- Support, coach and develop the existing finance team, in particular with regards to how to manage teams and stakeholders
- Build strong relationships with the rest of the management team, communicating effectively to ensure the company is bought into financial decisions
- Collaborate with the HR and Operations teams to deliver payroll, insurance, risk management
- Oversee the established management accounting function, covering monthly and annual accounts
- Ensure the team produces monthly and quarterly reports to internal and external stakeholders on a timely basis
- Preparation and circulation of Board and shareholder reporting
- Lead relationships with key existing professional suppliers including auditors, tax advisors, banks, payroll providers
- Present and explain financial information at board meetings (every 6-8 weeks), management meetings (monthly) and whole company meetings as necessary
- Take responsibility for the group’s tax compliance in the UK and overseas (including regulatory submission for subsidiaries inUSA and Germany, plus EOR arrangements in multiple other locations)
- Ensure that the company maintains strong financial controls and processes as it grows, identifying new tools to improve operational efficiency
- Maintain and develop the company's complex 5-year financial model, becoming highly knowledgeable of the company’s activities, growth levers and operational priorities
- Responsible for short- and long-term cash planning, including treasury and foreign exchange considerations
- Track key actual and forecast revenue metrics, and work closely with the commercial team to prepare revenue pipeline forecasts
- Support teams across the company in contract negotiations to ensure cost effectiveness and ongoing value
- Support fund-raising activity through preparation of materials, managing investor Q&A (in particular relating to the financial forecast) and due diligence
- Maintain and update the company’s investor due diligence data room, ensuring it remains relevant and fit for purpose
- Work with the directors and legal team (in-house and external as required) on investment documentation and post closing matters
- ACCA / ACA / CIMA qualification, with ~7-12 years PQE including a finance leadership position, ideally in Series A, B or C start-up
- Experience working in a recurring revenue tech enabled environment with strong understanding of the associated KPIs and metrics
- Experience of completing multiple capital raises, ideally from a range of different investor types and structures
- Excellent financial modelling and excel skills
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written – and be comfortable working with people from different teams across the business
- Willingness to get stuck in and help with the unglamorous tasks as necessary to get the job done
- Strong attention to detail
- An ability to quickly understand our business model and the challenges and opportunities it presents
You will be:
- Highly professional in your approach, and discreet and responsible with financial information
- Confident and comfortable presenting information to senior stakeholders, with executive presence and an ability to tailor your approach to the audience
- A believer in the importance of establishing the right level of robust process and procedure to enable scale up.
- Collaborative but not afraid to be tough when you need to be
The what3words team is a mix of experienced entrepreneurs, people who have worked at the highest levels in large global organisations, academics, and bright graduates – it’s a good balance, and it’s important for us that we get the right person who is happy working alongside people from these backgrounds. We have a relaxed and focused office in West London, with regular team socials and many other benefits including private health care, hybrid working and work from anywhere allowance. We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals, and an absolute focus on building a global business.
We hope in 5 years you will be proud to tell people you were one of the core team at what3words.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at what3words
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
Please note that this role will be based in our London office, therefore we will only accept applications from individuals able to commute to the office at least twice per week and those that have authorisation to work in the UK.
- Flexible working (3 days from home, 2 days in the London office)
- Flexible 3-4 days per week working pattern (as well as, or potentially changing over-time, to full-time).
- 6 week remote working (work from anywhere) policy
- 25 days holiday: plus the option to buy more!
- Share options
- Private health and dental insurance
- Annual health assessments
- Life insurance
- Wellbeing Days
- Yulife perks and rewards
- Generous parental leave policies
- £300 personal learning budget
- Family friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Office perks; free breakfast, snacks & regular team lunches
- Sports and hobbies clubs
- Dog friendly office